SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE, INC.
CONSULTING AND RESEARCH
Our consulting and research can enhance and support your maritime decisions.
No need to be unprepared for difficult questions. No need to start a lengthy and
expensive research project of your own. We can give you what you need -
understandably, quickly and inexpensively. Call us.
FOR EXAMPLE ...
(AN ILLUSTRATIVE DIALOGUE)
- CLIENT: CAN YOU HELP US?
- SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE, INC.: WHAT DO YOU NEED?
- CLIENT: OUR BANK NEEDS SOME COMPARABLE SALES FOR A VALUATION.
- CLIENT: THEN WE NEED TO KNOW THE CHARTER HISTORY FOR SHIPS LIKE THE ONES WE'RE
THINKING OF ACQUIRING.
- S.I.I.: DEPENDS ON THE TYPE, BUT WE CAN PROBABLY DO IT.
- CLIENT: FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS?
- S.I.I.: 5, OR 10 OR EVEN 15 YEARS IF YOU NEED IT. YOU CAN HAVE THE
TRANSACTIONS SORTED SEVERAL WAYS OR AS GRAPHS.
- CLIENT: CAN YOU CALCULATE THE EXPECTED INTERNAL RATE OF RETURN?
- S.I.I.: OF COURSE, AND SEVERAL OTHER MEASURES OF RETURN AS WELL.
- CLIENT: WHAT DO YOU USE FOR FUTURE FREIGHT RATES AND RESIDUAL VALUES?
- S.I.I.: WE DO A MONTE CARLO SIMULATION TO PRODUCE THOSE FIGURES. THE
FUTURE IS ALWAYS UNCERTAIN, BUT WE THINK THE SIMULATION WORKS WELL.
- CLIENT: I SUPPOSE THAT ABOUT COVERS IT.
- S.I.I.: NO INDEED! THERE'S A LOT MORE THAT WE CAN DO BUT WE REALLY
HAVE TO SIT DOWN AND DISCUSS IT.
- CLIENT: HOW COME YOU CAN DO ALL THIS?
- S.I.I.: FIRST, WE HAVE A LOT OF DATA. WE HAVE DETAILED INFORMATION
ON OVER 35,000 SALES AND CHARTERS GOING BACK TO 1986 - AND IT'S ALL
SECOND, WE HAVE DEVELOPED A COMPREHENSIVE SET OF ANALYTICAL
PROGRAMS FOR THE MARITIME INDUSTRY.
AND THIRD, WE HAVE MANY YEARS OF
EXPERIENCE IN THE MARITIME INDUSTRY, WHICH IS OUR PRIMARY INTEREST.
SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE, INC. maintains two DataBases for its
own and client use. The DataBases are:
- SHIP SALES HISTORY.
- PERIOD TIME-CHARTER HISTORY.
Both DataBases contain transactions reported since 1986, and new
data is being added almost daily.
The DataBases are used in data extracts and basic and complex
calculations.EXAMPLES OF BASIC DATABASE EXTRACTS.
- Aframax Tankers chartered in the last six months.
- Bulk Carriers, 45,000 to 55,000 DWT, built 1980 to
1990, sold within the last two years.
- Capesize Bulk Carriers time-chartered for three to five years
during the past five years.
EXAMPLES OF QUESTIONS FOR BASIC CALCULATIONS.
- What will the residual value of a 5 year old Panamax Bulk Carrier purchased
today be in ten years?
- After the current charter on a Handy-Max Bulk Carrier expires in
three years, what can one expect to charter it out for?
- Is the present price for a Suezmax Tanker greater or less than the
historic average, and by how much and what percentage?
EXAMPLES OF COMPLEX CALCULATIONS.
- SHIP INVESTMENT EVALUATION. Calculation of projected financial
results and rates of return from the proposed purchase of a ship.
Assessing the risks (primarily those due to future fluctuations in charter rates
and ship resale value) inherent in a proposed investment in a ship.